2.23.2009

Oscars Best And Worst Dressed

My votes are in- it's time for the BEST and Worst dressed from the 2009 Oscars.

WORST: Some of the worst included the not-so-relevent Phoebe Cates in a dowdy, what appears to be Indian inspired gown, designer I know not. I must give kudos to Freida Pinto in John Galliano, for she at least tried to be fashionable. I just didn't like it though- it came off as too aging. Virginia Madsen also attempted to be fashionable in an architectural gown in red by Kevan Hall, but unfortunately this architecural creation was as flat as a single wide trailer in reality. The cast of Doubt was also a let down. Amy Adams looked nothing short of pudgy and uncomfortable in her Carolina Herrera frock, and Meryl Streep (who I absolutely love and am always rooting for) looked as though she wore a dapper potatoe sack to the event. On the plus side, her face looked quite youthfful. And then there is Viola Davis, who I couldn't figure out where to place. Her dress by Reem Acra wasn't bad, per se, but it definetely isn't worthy of a best dressed list. The gold lame was just a tad much for me. Others to stand out in the worst category- Jessica Biel looking boring and dull in Prada, Heidi Klum looking like an oragami bird that crashed, in Roland Mouret, and Beyonce Knowls in a tacky "inspired by God-only-knows-what" gown by (not so surprisingly) House of Dereon. The worst however- well, I hated to do it, seeing how I don't even know who the person is, nore the designer, but the ensemble is just so bad, that only she would merit getting put in the number one spot-Robin Swicord.

BEST: There is hope however! There was a handfull that gave me hope. Taraji Henson in Roberto Cavalli was spot on, and winner Kate Winslet in YSL was gorgous, although it would have been nice to see her in an actual color for once. Tina Fey also looked far from funny. My top picks though, in this order would be

4. Angelina Jolie in Elie Saab complimented by Lorraine Schwartz jewlery. Of course it's black, but of course-she looks stunning. Having Brad by her side certainly didn't hurt.

3. Anne Hathaway in Armani Prive. She is this era's Audrey Hepburn, and this dress proved it. Sure it matched her skin color perfectly, but it worked. She was the epitome of glamour.

2. Penelope Cruz in vintage Balmain. I love seeing actresses showcasing vintage. It's rare that they do it, but when they do, it's usually with a very good end result. And it wasn't a mermaid dress!

1. Sarah Jessica Parker in Dior Haute Couture. I knew as soon as I first seen it that it would be my top pick, and not just because I hold SJP to be my fashion icon. Stunning. And once again- not a mermaid dress!


This was a year of style for the awards seasons, but as alot of people have mentioned, it's been purely a hit or miss with each event. It's either very good, or it's very bad. Where is the fashion middle ground?! But I digress; it was a night of glamour and gold, both on the statue and on the gowns.




















No comments:

Post a Comment